November 11, 2019

Recap: Oct

So much for posting every 2 weeks right... It's harder than it seems, adjusting to a new life, a new climate and have a fresh start while being stuck in the past; making new friends and reconnecting with the old; trying to move forward while questioning the past. You'll know what I'm talking about, I promise. Instead of doing a Moodboard for November, I just wanted to glimpse back to the last month, where I felt like settling down (a teeny tiny bit) for the first time since I've moved to Amsterdam. So yeah, enjoy x


Before our exams at mid-November, our friends from Istanbul came for a couple of days. Honestly, I was so crammed up with school work that I could barely enjoy my time with Defne & Alp but I was so glad to see them regardless.
After the exam period, Verda came here for almost a week, and getting together with her after 2 months was especially meaningful for me because I was welcoming my best friend in my home. Amsterdam really felt like "my city" now that I had friends coming over, and fortunately I knew my around and made them feel like a local as well (well, most of the time). Not being out and about that much though; we discovered the city together, went to cozy cafes and diners, even went to Utrecht for a day trip, and were fortunate enough to walk around the city because it didn't rain one bit the entire time she was here. Now, I'm counting the days for my brother to arrive.
Speaking of friends, I'm feeling more settled down thanks to the lovely people I've met along the way. I still think language is such a big barrier when it comes to making friends, no matter how good your English is. I feel like if it's not your mother tongue, you can really express yourself up to a certain point, you know? I honestly felt like I could never connect with the people I've met here like my friends back in Istanbul, but now that I'm spending more time with them, I'm actually getting used to being around people with such different backgrounds, perspectives and looks. I love it. The photo above, for example, has been taken last Friday night where we gathered to celebrate Cosima's birthday, at a bar that is becoming our regular Friday night spot. The photos below, however, are from a night I had the best time. We all gathered in one of the dorms and played 90s music, danced around, put make up on and talked for hours. I became Jigsaw (with the help of lovely Georgia) even though I'm scared shitless with clowns or anything that is remotely close to it. But you gotta do what you gotta do, right?
PS: I loved loved loved celebrating Halloween in general, how come we only have the shitty stuff in Istanbul?
MOAK PANCAKES
If you are in Amsterdam, I feel like this is a place you should definitely go. It's vegan friendly, everything is fresh and yummy. I personally had a sweet pancake with a latte (they only have oat milk btw).

COFFEE & COCONUTS
This place is the coziest cafe I've been to. Again, it's vegan friendly, and has great desserts. I especially recommend the one on the right, banana bread something. (sorry my memory sucks)

CIGARETTES AFTER SEX
Now I know I can't technically recommend going to their concert, but damn, it was the most soothing concert I've been to. His voice is exactly the same, and the visions of each song only added to the calmness and tranquility of his voice. Definitely recommend listening to these guys.

HOOKED BY NIR EYAL
INFLUENCE: THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSUASION BY ROBERT CIALDINI
Of course I will end the post with book recommendations. These two books are my favorites for the past couple of months, both are very intriguing and give you real life cases, applicable insights and interesting experiments. If you have a slight interest on neuromarketing, you should definitely go and read them.



Be kind to yourself,
Eda
 all around ams

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?